Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Before

I've been working on some fun things recently and I thought I would share all the "before" shots in one post. Remember my dining table? The one my dad calls "the heirloom" and only gave it to me if I promised not to paint it....




Well, it is being transformed. That is what it looked like before, all wood. I called my mom and asked her on a scale of 1 to 10, how mad dad would be. One being slightly mad and ten being total disownment. She thought it would be around a 3 so I figured that was worth it...



Then I reminded my dad that I'm an only child so there is no back up.....



Then I reminded him I hold access to his only grandchildren (shameless I know)....



And then I spilled the beans in a public place, the middle of my son's preschool graduation. No way he was making a scene there. Smart huh?



He was smiling through his "anger" and I hope he likes the results when he comes over next. I'm loving it so far, the table is finally starting to match the rest of the house. And it's still solid wood....you know, under the white paint.





This dresser was a flea market find. I didn't really need another dresser but you can't argue with more storage space and it was too sweet to leave behind. It's getting the white treatment as well.


I love these feet.....


And yes, I had to crop that picture like crazy. The original showed off just how dirty my floors are. Yikes. Time to get out the vacuum after I finish this post. I swear dog hair reproduces all on its own.



And that brings us to my new mantel. Ahhhh, the mantel. My hubby works with a guy who built a home and this was the mantel that came with it. They didn't like it and opted to replace it for marble so this beauty was sitting in their basement. They were so kind to ask if we would want it. Do I want it? Is grass green? Errr...is crabgrass green? Which we apparently have a lot of as the TrueGreen guy was so happy to ring my doorbell to tell me.


Anyway, here it is before....



And a sneak peek after I added some wood appliques and primed it up.....







I'll be back soon with all the pretty "afters."


Now I'm off to clean my floors before the dog hair takes over.


Happy Wednesday everyone!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I love your post today. Isn't it funny how we think painting something wood is "no big deal" but to a man it's like one of the greatest sins ever...LOL! I am anxious to see it and as far as the mantel goes girl....you rocked it!

xo
LeAnn

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, Michelle...can't wait to see the afters! I love seeing your white! I just can't do that here with the cat hair...which also spreads by spontaneous reproduction! lol But what jumped out at me? Your wonderful PLATES! lol I love the way you have them in a row like chair rail in your dining room! Why haven't I noticed that before? So clever! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Michelle I can't wait to see your table and your mantle all done...Hope your feeling better my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Anonymous said...

Cant wait to see the afters!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Luv that FREE mantel and the dresser is awesome...maybe paint the lower half and stain the top:) I'm sure your dad will luv the table and chairs after the makeover...great place to break the news to him.

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Ok, this little tease is not fair! :) I can't wait to see the afters - you do such an amazing job so I'm sure they look fabulous in your home. I'm curious about your wood dining table - I have an "heirloom" from my parents also and I love the shape but not the dark wood. I may have to get out the paintbrush but ... I'm nervous.
Hurry up with the afters!

Sarah xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle! There really is something about guys not wanting wood to be painted!! LOL I'm grinning because I've been there.
I'll be looking forward to seeing the reveal!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Darlene said...

Morning Michelle,

I can't wait to see all of the "afters"! Glad your Dad didn't get too mad....lol.

Hope you are having a wonderful week.♥

Kim said...

In my experience, ALL men are opposed to painting furniture. Also in my experience, they get over it. Good for you!
xoxo,
Kim

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I'm so excited to see the "afters"!! They all are such great looking pieces!
We don't have a dog, but my 13 mo. old keeps my kitchen floor constantly dirty. It is impossible to keep it clean for more than a few minutes.

Dawn said...

Hey Michelle! I can't wait to see the "afters"!!!!


Oh, and yes dog hair does reproduce on it's own! No one will ever convince me otherwise!!! (;

Hugs,
Dawn

Blondiensc said...

ohh I love little changes like that and you made me laugh cause I would call my mom and ask those same questions! ha! Can't wait to see everything! happy hump day!

Unknown said...

I love that mantle! I love to paint wood too! Can't wait to see the results.

beth said...

You are such a tease!! I can't wait to see all the beautiful afters!! :)
Hope you have a great week! Beth.

Laurie said...

I have been in a white paint mood, lately, and I get a lot of aiding and abetting from you. I haven't actually painted anything yet, but soon, soon. Can't wait to see the afters!
Blessings,
Laurie
P.S. We have a golden retriever - 'nough said!

Katrina said...

Hahaha... loved all your thoughts on how you would tell your Dad, very funny! I am loving the transformations and can't wait to see more!

Sherri said...

Michelle, sounds like you have been busy, busy! Love the mantel and I'm sure I'll love the table when I see it completed! Enjoy your "new" finds!

Jen Kershner said...

Oh I can't wait for the afters. You are a bad girl. I can't believe you did that to your dad! Love your new finds. That dresser has great lines!

Rue said...

Ack! I can't watch!! Tell me when it's over!!!!

LOL

Yes, I still love you anyway ;)

rue

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love the mirror over the buffet! Your vignettes are always so gorgeous. :)