Thursday, March 4, 2010

Doorknobs and Penguins

Thank you for all the birthday wishes for my daughter. I'm pretty sure she had a good birthday as she didn't stop smiling all day long. I have some pics of the birthday fun but first I wanted to show you a project I did when I disappeared from blogging.


You might remember we had a coat rack in our Everything Room. It was perfect for the space but very heavy and its hangers didn't line up with the studs. See where I'm going with this? Anyway, one day we were sitting in the other room and heard a huge crash. The coat rack had tumbled to the floor leaving gaping holes in my wallpaper. *sigh* Luckily the shelf itself wasn't broken (gotta love Pottery Barn quality, it can even take a 7 foot fall onto wood flooring!) so we moved it to our front foyer where it is happily attached to plaster and studs.


The first thing I did was cover the holes in the paper with a sign from Hobby Lobby. That's the one bad thing with wallpaper, if you change your mind or if something violently pulls out of the wall, you are left unable to easily patch things up. So covering it up was a necessity. But I still needed a place in this room to hang random things.

I had been collecting doorknobs and decided to use them in place of the coat rack.....


This was an easy project. My hubby drilled large holes into the woodwork and then we used wooden dowels to put one side into the wall and the other into the doorknob. We found Gorilla Glue worked great for this, it bubbles and expands as it dries making for a strong bond.




You can see at the base of the doorknob, how the glue started to come out a bit. You can easily touch this up with paint if you need to. I'm lazy so I left it.


I'm linking this up to Make Your Monday over at Twice Remembered ! There are lots of great projects to be seen over there!
And....

Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

This is where the penguins come in. I know you were sitting there wondering from my weird post title if I had my coffee today. (Drinking it as we speak, errr..type)




My girls got all dressed up for Ella's birthday. They rarely wear dresses so it was fun to get some pictures....




And off to Texas Roadhouse we went. It's Ella's favorite restaurant and she got to sit on the saddle while they announced her birthday and Yeehawwwwwed. There was a 14 year old girl sitting at the table behind us and it was her birthday too. She looked so embarrassed, I about died for her as her cheeks turned all kinds of red.




I always let them request a special cake. This year she wanted penguin cupcakes. I have a fun cupcake book and she picked these cuties out. They weren't too hard and I had a good time making them. Don't ask me how much sugar I consumed while dipping and frosting and cutting up candy. Seriously, don't ask.












A few sparkle candles and a good time was had by all....












32 comments:

Here On Crow Creek said...

Luv them doorknobs! that is such a great idea!

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

I have a "collection" of sorts of doorknobs in a glass pickle jar. I love how you used yours, great idea! Cute birthday picture!

Anonymous said...

Okay first off, love the doorknob idea, it looks awesome and your cupcakes should be in a magazine, they are ADORABLE! Too cute to eat....nah!!

LeAnn

Darlene said...

I LOVE the doorknobs....what a fabulous idea!!! Your girls are adorable and we just ate at a Texas Roadhouse last Saturday...YUM! Your penguin cupcakes are ADORABLE! Too CUTE!! Glad Ella had a wonderful Birthday!♥

beth said...

LOVE the doorknob idea! That looks great! And it looks like Ella had a fun birthday. Those penguin cupcakes are cute!
Hope you have a great day. Beth. :)

Susan said...

Those are the cutest cupcakes. Love the doorknob idea.

jamie said...

The doorknobs look great! I love that you used a mix of different ones.
And those cupcakes! Yum!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Girl you always come up with the best things for your home...I swear you need to write a book about it...your that good..Loved seeing your daughter how pretty is she that smile says it all...now those cupcakes are too cute girl...Hope you have a GREAT day my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Victoria said...

Love the doorknobs! What a fabulous idea.

Great cupcakes too. Love the pedestal they are sitting on as well.

Kathysue said...

First I have to say your girls are adorable and Happy Bday!! Isn't it wonderful how an accident turned into a design opportunity to be creative and I think the knobs are a perfect idea and look wonderful. Good thinking on your part!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Wow! Great creations! Both of them!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to your girl! Loved seeing the pics. And your door knobs as hooks is a great idea!

Nancy

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What a great doorknob rack! :) And what cute little cupcakes, I've never seen penguin cupcakes before -- fun!! Glad that she had a Happy Birthday!
Blessings,
Stacey

Theresa said...

Those doorknobs are much better than any old pre-made coat rack:) I just love them!

Cutest girls and the birthday girl on the saddle is precious!

Thanks for sharing the tip and the gorgeous girls!

Have a blessed day!

tara said...

Love this idea!! and no worries of things falling off the wall now and you did a great job on those penguins!! too cute!

::cottage instincts:: said...

Way cute...those doorknobs look terrific!

Happy belated birthday to your Ella! I wish I could make super cute cakes for my kids birthdays...they're lucky to get a jello cake :)

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

LOVE what you did with the doorknobs! What a fab idea! :)

Looks like your daughter had so much fun! Love the penguin cupcakes!

Smiles,
rachel

Leah Rainey said...

I am making the penguins this weekend. I'm guessing I have the same "Hello Cupcake" book. What did you use for the wings?
schauermannL@hotmail.com

THANKS....

Nishant said...

I love how you used yours, great idea! Cute birthday picture!
work at home in india

Amber said...

I love the doorknobs! So cool! And the penguin cupcakes are seriously an overachievement! Wow! Must have taken you all day to make those!

Denise Marie said...

wayyyy too cute!

Its So Very Cheri said...

I wanted to let you know some big news. My blog has moved to www.itssoverycheri.com
Please come over and RE-SIGN UP to follow me at the new site. Google does not allow you to take your followers. If you have already found the new site-sorry for the confusion. (Some don't have links set up so I can't see their blog, plus going back and forth between the 2 blogs...) I am trying to go back and forth between the old blog and the new, while I am getting through all my followers. I am super close to closing down my old blog.
I also have a new give-a-way that started yesterday.
Cheri www.itssoverycheri.com

Helen said...

Doorknobs and a beautiful cake stand. Doesn't get much better.

****** "M" said...

I have a door knob collection in a compote bowl....love how you used yours! My daughter has that cupcake book...lots of cute ideas...good job on yours, I'm sure your daughter had a wonderful day, with many fond memories.

Jen Kershner said...

I absolutely love it! Now that's charm. You've done such an amazing job with your house!

Lila said...

Love the doorknobs. I need to do something like that!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I love how you mixed and matched the doorknobs. It looks fabulous.

The penguins are cute too!

I'm hosting a party and would love to have you come over and link this up!

http://mybackyardeden.blogspot.com/2010/03/make-it-yours-day_10.html

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I'm so glad you came over and linked this up to Make it Yours day!

Thanks again!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Just wanted to let you know I featured your project this week at My Backyard Eden.

http://mybackyardeden.blogspot.com/2010/03/make-it-yours-highlights_15.html

Stacey said...

Very nice! I have doorknob envy! Thanks for sharing!

Marie said...

Hello sweet Michelle - I've been out of the loop for a couple of months. Feels good to be back visiting some of my fave blogs catching up!

Love the idea of taking door knobs and using them as a coat rack! Looks GREAT!

And what a fun birthday party - love the little penguin cupcakes. So sweet.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Mary said...

I love the doorknob idea. I might have to start collecting some!